Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Utilising Freedom Wisely

Dad is here again for the Hannover Fair. I went to Hannover with Mr. Harald to meet up with Dad last Sunday. The fair started on Monday and I was there to help out with the set-up of the exhibition booth. Before returning to Duisburg in the evening, we had a dinner together. Dad and Mr. Harald were talking about the children nowadays and the ones during their time.

During the older days, the kids had all the freedom given by their parents. If there was a waterfall, the kids wouldn't hesitate to get their feet soaked into the fast current-flowing water. Mr. Harald said his mother insisted him to put on a pair of shorts instead of a pair of trousers when he was a kid. "Rather you to get your knees cut than you cut your own shorts."

Indeed... Kids today seem to be too 'precious' for the parents. Mom can i go to the park? NO! Too dangerous! Mom can i go to a trip with my friends? NO! Way too dangerous! Mom can i go out with Yi Herng? NO! He is hell too naughty!(yes, he taught me a lot of naughty stuff =P).

In fact, freedom is closely related to trust. If our parents believe that we are not gonna get ourselves hurt, they would probably be willing to let us walk our way. In other words, freedom is given because we give them assurance. However, if we don't utilise the freedom given to us wisely, we would only suffer from restrictions. Somehow, i find that there are still some parents who overly worry about their kids although (i suppose..) they are actually capable enough to take care of themselves.

When I was in KL, i got all the freedom i wanted. I stayed out with my friends till late at night. Going to pubs for a drink, going for movies, going to Mamaks for a football match. I could play truancy if i wanted to. After all, i was far away from home. What could they possibly have done to me? A call to check on me doesn't help them out much.

Until one day i started to realise. I didn't get all the freedom i wanted. On the other hand, it was all given by Dad and Mom. They have always trusted in me, in their kids. That's why they gave us freedom. As parents, they could definitely imagine the worst influences we could have been succumbed to when we left home. But as such age, what can they possibly do to make sure that their kids are always on the right track in life? They can't. What they can do is to have a full faith in their kids for the freedom they have given to them. Perhaps it's a simply a gamble. From then onwards, we are the ones to decide our very own destiny, whether to strive or to be held back.

Mom and Dad, I can't promise you a successful son for now as I'm still craving a right goal in life. Anyway, I'm grateful for all the faith and trust you have given to me. In return, there's nothing more i can do but to utilise my freedom wisely...

1 comment:

theuptownlife said...

well said. staying away from home,yes freedom, but doesn't mean you can run away from responsibilities. that i agree.

how's life in germany? hope you're coping well.